Pawnee, Oklahoma was settled after the Pawnee tribe came to the area in 1875 as "The Pawnee Agency". The Pawnee Agency was designated as a post office on May 4, 1876. The area was opened to non-Indian settlers on September 16, 1893, during the Cherokee Outlet Opening. "Townsite Number Thirteen", later "Pawnee", had been designated as the temporary county seat. The post office was redesignated from Pawnee Agency to Pawnee on October 26, 1893. The town incorporated on April 16, 1894. On September 9, 1895, the townspeople dedicated a stone county courthouse.
This category currently contains no pages or media.